01 February, 2008

Twitter

Recently, during my computer wanderings, I came across a site that I had never heard of: twitter.com. Here is its basic premise: You create a membership, get a URL, and update your status. People who are interested in knowing your status can subscribe to your twitter and will be updated through e-mail, text message, or online whenever your status changes. It is an interesting idea, so I promptly joined (see twitter.com/uncoiled), but have realized since that I am not online enough to really learn anything interesting from following anyone's status. Also, I do not think that anyone I know is a twitterer, and there is really no reason for me to stay up-to-date on the status of people I do not know. I do understand how twitter would be useful though if your group of friends all used it and if you had unlimited texting capabilities on your phone (which I do not) because it is quick and easy to update your twitter status from your cell phone and get updates on all of the people you are following. If that is the case for you, go check it out. Maybe I'll become a regular twitterer when I get unlimited texting, and then I'll try to convince everyone I know to use it too.

No comments: