22 December, 2008

Galletas de Bici (Bicycle Cookies) - Homemade Energy Bars

At $4 a pop, Clif (R) Bars just aren't worth buying down here, but I still need something to train with. So I decided to search the "magical internet ball". I found tons of recipes. TONS! I didn't know where to start there were so many. So I decided to try a new approach: Twitter.
Although I found Twitter (and blogged about it) almost 11 months ago, I didn't really start using it until about a week ago. That was when I realized its potential (it also didn't hurt that I got wireless internet). So I sent out the message:
Anyone know of any good "homemade Clif Bar" recipes? I'm in Argentina and can't get Clif Bars down here, but need something to train with...
And people actually responded! I had multiple people send me suggestions and websites, and I finally decided on a variation of this recipe (thanks to @sprocketjockey).
The only problem was that it required peanut butter, another luxury that is hard to come by here in Argentina. So I decided to make that too!
Back to the "magic internet ball". And I came up with this recipe.
Between these two recipes, Victoria and I made some delicious energy bars, which we have since dubbed "Galletas de Bici" (Bicycle Cookies). I admit that they do not have the same flavor nor the same texture as real Clif (R) Bars, but they are cheaper, delicious, and easy to make.
So here is our "Galletas de Bici" recipe:
Homemade Peanut Butter (makes 1.25 cups):
1.25 cups Peanuts
0.75 cup Caramelized Peanuts
1 tsp Salt
4 tsp Olive Oil

Blend the peanuts and salt, adding olive oil slowly until the desired consistency is achieved.
Galletas de Bici (makes 18 brownie-sized bars):
1 cup Rolled Oats (regular old oatmeal)
1.5 cup chopped Dried Fruit (we used pineapple, apricots, pears, and raisins)
0.5 cup chopped Nuts (we used almonds, peanuts, cashews, and walnuts)
0.75 cup Rice Crispies (or other cereal)
0.5 cup Fat-Free Powdered Milk (we don't think the "Fat-Free" matters)
0.75 cup Sugar
2 tsp Butter
1.25 cup Homemade Peanut Butter (see above)
1 cup Honey
Chocolate

Mix all of the ingredients up to (and including) the sugar.
Melt the butter, peanut butter, and honey in a large frying pan.
Mix the melted mixture with the dry mixture (not with your hands - it's HOT).
Pour this into a wax-paper lined 9x13 inch baking pan.
Sprinkle the chocolate (or if you have a bar, grate it) over the whole concoction.
Put in oven for 5-10 minutes or until the edges brown very slightly (I'd give you a temperature, but our oven doesn't have any numbers).
Allow to cool fully.
Cut up and store in fridge.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That looks incredible! You and Victoria are so talented. I am not talented and lazy and would have just spend $4 a bar. You both have inspired me to try this out. Very nice work!