10 January, 2009

Insomnia (or "I hate mosquitos")

I started off the new year planning to get enough sleep every night (see my post about my 2009 Racing Goals). I have been successful in this, but it has been significantly harder than I thought it was going to be. The first two nights of the new year (actually the last night of 2008 and the first of 2009) I couldn't sleep. Most of all, it was too hot (we don't have air conditioning), and then I had to deal with mosquitos buzzing around my head. Honestly, they wouldn't have bothered me much, because mosquito bites don't bother me much, except that you can hear them when they're near your face. And these ones are especially mean, fast, and sneaky. For example, it you wait for one to land on your face, then swat at it, you end up hitting yourself in the face, and it gets away. And then, when you can't deal with them any more, and turn on the light to go on a killing spree, they stop flying around and sit on the wall or ceiling where they blend into the wood and brick. Finally, my mind simply goes out of control when I lay down to sleep. I start thinking about all of the things I want to do on the computer - websites I want to build, jerseys I want to design, things I want to learn, blog posts I want to write - and I can't shut them out.

Fortunately, I have had a few nights free of insomnia. And Victoria and I have started sleeping with the windows open, which helps with the heat. But those darned mosquitos just will not leave me alone. I've also realized that our schedule of going to bed at 2:00AM has made our attempts to go to bed at a reasonable time significantly more difficult, since our internal clocks are all out of whack. Finally, I've begun to wonder if restarting training has affected me. I actually had Sean (my coach) mention that to me once, but I never understood why that would NEGATIVELY affect your sleep.
So that's my rant about not sleeping. Basically, it stinks. If you can avoid it, do. (And don't ever go to bed with "A Whole New World" stuck in your head, it doesn't help).

4 comments:

Emmons said...

Insomnia really screws with a person's health, I hope you conquer it completely soon! And the mosquitos. There were a few months here were there was always at least one in my room every single night. Rarr! So, have you thought about finding or making a mosquito net for your bed area? They exist for a reason... and could just be useful. Also, you guys have great pictures on flickr! They are fun to go through, between the fun shots of you guys and the ones of that beautiful landscape down there. I don't remember if I already told you this or not, but thanks for doing that Christmas letter, it's always nice to hear how you guys are doing, even though I'd already been reading your blog. Yay for letters and news from friends! I hope your training and racing and living happily and healthily goes awesomely in the New Year! Give Victoria a hug for me!

Anonymous said...

Okay, you and Victoria need sleep to train and race at your fullest potential. Do you workout in the evening? It is hard if you don't give your body enough time to relax before bed. Have you tried milk and honey :) Never tried it but one time I looked up remedies for insomnia and a ton of sites had it. Weird but maybe worth trying? Good luck and get sleep. p.s. If I have "A Whole New World" in my head when I am trying to go to sleep I curse your name :)

McConnell "Macky" Franklin said...

Kellie - Thanks for the milk and honey idea. It is funny, but Victoria actually suggested that as well, and that is what I've been doing. It seems to work wonders. I also feel a bit like a kitten when I do so :)

Anonymous said...

Macky,
I have been struggling with sleeping too. I commend your new years resolution to get enough sleep each night. It is somewhat of an unspoken one of mine. I hope you and Victoria have been having better luck with sleep, and I'll try that milk and honey idea too! Hope all is well, I look forward to the day when I will be able to see you again, go for a ride, and learn of all the great adventures you had in South America!

-Jeff C. from UVM